Old November 26th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Sram i-Motion 3 Speed Coaster Review

On Nov 25, 4:35*pm, pdxrandonneur wrote:
* Gear hub fans have never had it so good. With the formidable
maturity and reasonable prices of the Shimano 8 speeds, the
renaissance going on over at Sturmey-Archer and radical new (or very
old) designs like the Nuvinci, it is easy to overlook SRAM’s new three
speed. For three speed lovers, that would be a major mistake. This is
one of the best, if not THE best, ever made. I have ridden many three
speeds over the years, and loved them all (except for that 333 hub),
but I have never had as much fun as I am having on the SRAM.

Two caveats:

#1-This is the common complaint about gearhubs, but the grip**** is
God Awful. [snipped]

That's the clincher for me. There's only two shifters for infernal
hubs that I've ever liked, and that's a regular ole S/A trigger and
the first generation Nexus 7 speed. The Shimano grip**** are bearable,
and the S/A and Sram stuff is nasty.

That said, the Sram hubs are durable--you just don't see any
stateside. In Sweden you see a lot of the 5 speed Spectro version.
Seems they also got all of the four speed Nexus hubs over there as
well.