View Single Post
Old April 16th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default today's ride

On 4/15/2018 5:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 7:55:31 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

A few weeks ago I came back down from Camino (California) while hail was
pelting us, big time, in shorts and T-shirt. That's real blecccch,
especially on a road bike with rim brakes. I didn't know this was going
to happen, the weather looked so nice on the way up. Else I'd have used
the MTB.

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in hail. I just don't like it because it hurts my face. The conditions that cause hail usually don't last for very long, and the upside is that it bounces off you -- unlike rain. If its Old Testament apocalyptic hail, I go hide under an overhang until it stops.

The ride today was 2.5 hours in steady, moderate and unseasonably cold rain. I was recovering from a week off my bike due to a virus that made me feel like sh** and caused me to break out in red welts all over my arms and legs (which was alarming). The welts are slowly reducing. I was riding with my son who is recovering from two fractured and surgically repaired ankles from his ski-tastrophy. He was all trussed up in ankle splints. We were the two-man sad parade. The really sad part is that he can still out-sprint me after more than two months in a wheel chair and with enough hardware in his ankles to stock a Home Depot. To be fair, though, he has been doing all sorts of stationary bike power training for the last month, and I was sick (more excuses to come).

We were both on discs, and again, stopping in wet weather is more about traction than braking. I really had to moderate my rear braking because it is really easy to fish-tail when descending slick wet pavement. Unlike you, we were appropriately dressed in rain gear, although I let my son use my favorite Showers Pass jacket. I was in a Castelli Gabba rain jersey and vest, which soaked through on the arms and shoulders. The sacrifices I make as a parent! The good part is that he gets pro deals on Showers Pass, so he's going to get his own rain jacket soon. Mine is now off limits.

Sounds like our mid-April weekend except there's serious
wind in the Midwest:

http://www.wnem.com/story/37959863/m...-to-high-winds

Spring starts in June,right?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home