Old March 31st 12, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Cycling casualties plummet despite rise in numbers

On Mar 31, 6:41*am, Simon Mason wrote:
And as practically nobody wears a helmet, other factors must be
involved like traffic calming and 20mph zones.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safer.jpg

Safety in numbers. I agree about the irrelevance of cycle helmets,
though I would hardly use the word "plummet".

"1. Safety According to the Jacobsenís Growth Rule, if the amount of
cycling doubles, the risk per cyclist falls by 34 percent. If cycling
halves, the risk per cyclist increases by 52 percent. Source: Safety
in numbers, more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and
bicycling,"

PL Jacobsen, Injury Prevention, Sept 2003. (Vandenbulcke et al, 2009).
Cycle Rates by Country."

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.