Old February 3rd 20, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

Default What's it take 2B Criminaly Charged in Forida 4 Killing with a car?

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 6:18:43 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Geeze, I'm glad I don't live in Florida! It seems as though bicyclists and/or pedestrians are fair game down there if they're killed by a motor vehicle. Here's yet another case where criminal charges will NOT be laid against the drive of a vehicle that killed someone. This even though the driver drove his car through a red light.

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Ped...567422241.html

Cheers

Not just Flor-ee-da.

I still recall some two decades ago where one Kathy Miller, on a two mile or so perfectly straight stretch of Highway 152 leading from the winery she departed towards Gilroy, mowed down and killed four bicyclists while she was turned 'round reaching in back for a cassette tape in the car she had borrowed to make the trip.

She ended up with 90 days probation because, to paraphrase the newspaper article, "Just think how bad she will feel for the rest of her life."

This has led to me writing periodic letters to the editor over the years asto how one could kill his enemy with perfect impunity if he simply waited until said enemy was on a bicycle and then run him down. It really seems to be true.

pH in Aptos