Old February 9th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Bridge lane

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 12:53:39 PM UTC-8, Joerg
On 2020-02-03 14:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

There are only two bridges left without protected bike
lanes now. The San Mateo Bridge and the Carquinez Straits
bridge.

I've never seen a cyclist on the Carquinez Bridge. That
sounds like a suicide mission to me, like this section on
I-5:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2...ream/lightbox/

Have you tried cycling the Carquinez Bridge?

[...]

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

It is a protected bike path on the bridge with concrete
barriers to separate them from the cars. Sort of like on the
Oakland span of the bay bridge.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a3...e-controversy/

It's weird. I crossed that new span more than a dozen times over the
years and never noticed any pedestrians or cyclists. The
barrier isn't too high for that, just like on the bike path to
Davis along I-80. That one is very long so usually you see a
rider or two when driving towards the Bay Area.

https://goo.gl/maps/PFFSh6Jv1NfxUtxQ7

The problem with those paths is often the connecting
infrastructure. West Sacramento is not very bike-friendly but
we have to cross it to get to Davis.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I don't remember any bike paths to Davis only sideroads.

It's a long and boring path directly next to I-80. Starts at
8:50min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QoGIowtyNE

There's be no other year-round path or road because that whole
area below is a flood basin and underwater during snow-melt
season.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

There is a road that goes right next to the Davis campus that is
hardly used and goes directly into West Sacramento and there is a
bridge to cross there into Sacramento proper. Can't imagine why you'd
need a path.

Where? Can you point it out on the linked map?

https://goo.gl/maps/MQUCiwssq1di7FXc8

The whole center section all the way from north to south is the Yolo
bypass which floods. I wonder how you'd get through that in spring on a
road bike:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolo_B...306199144).jpg

The bike path parallel to I-80 starts where that big sign is in the
picture. It would require an amphibious bicycle.

https://gajitz.com/wp-content/upload...bious-bike.jpg

Of course, Iohan would have absolutely no qualms about that, transfer to
water starts at 4:10min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ0KNj5WUvk

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, it is the first street bridge then Sacramento Ave. On the maps it looks awfully tortuous but I drove it just a couple of springs ago when I went up there to pick up some bicycle parts and wanted to see the route.

My memory is pretty screwed up but I'm sure that I used to lead a ride that went from San Leandro out across the country roads to Rio Vista and then we had to cross quite a ways over and would take and east=west route and come into Davis from the north. And then we would ride into Sacramento for a hotel for the night and return the next day. Perhaps there was a lot of lefts and rights to West Sacramento but I don't remember that. Though it seems to me that driving it a couple of years ago it was reasonably direct.

I wonder if we rode up to Woodland and then east?