Old February 10th 20, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Bridge lane

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:17:14 PM UTC-8, Joerg
On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 12:53:39 PM UTC-8,
On 2020-02-03 14:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

There are only two bridges left without protected
bike lanes now. The San Mateo Bridge and the
Carquinez Straits bridge.

I've never seen a cyclist on the Carquinez Bridge.
That sounds like a suicide mission to me, like this
section on I-5:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2...ream/lightbox/

Have you tried cycling the Carquinez Bridge?

[...]

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

It is a protected bike path on the bridge with concrete
barriers to separate them from the cars. Sort of like on
the Oakland span of the bay bridge.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a3...e-controversy/

It's weird. I crossed that new span more than a dozen times over the
years and never noticed any pedestrians or cyclists. The
barrier isn't too high for that, just like on the bike path
to Davis along I-80. That one is very long so usually you
see a rider or two when driving towards the Bay Area.

https://goo.gl/maps/PFFSh6Jv1NfxUtxQ7

The problem with those paths is often the connecting
infrastructure. West Sacramento is not very bike-friendly
but we have to cross it to get to Davis.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I don't remember any bike paths to Davis only sideroads.

It's a long and boring path directly next to I-80. Starts at
8:50min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QoGIowtyNE

There's be no other year-round path or road because that whole
area below is a flood basin and underwater during snow-melt
season.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

There is a road that goes right next to the Davis campus that is
hardly used and goes directly into West Sacramento and there is
a bridge to cross there into Sacramento proper. Can't imagine why
you'd need a path.

Where? Can you point it out on the linked map?

https://goo.gl/maps/MQUCiwssq1di7FXc8

The whole center section all the way from north to south is the
Yolo bypass which floods. I wonder how you'd get through that in
spring on a road bike:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolo_B...306199144).jpg

The bike path parallel to I-80 starts where that big sign is in the
picture. It would require an amphibious bicycle.

https://gajitz.com/wp-content/upload...bious-bike.jpg

Of course, Iohan would have absolutely no qualms about that,
transfer to water starts at 4:10min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ0KNj5WUvk

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, it is the first street bridge then Sacramento Ave. On the maps
it looks awfully tortuous but I drove it just a couple of springs ago
when I went up there to pick up some bicycle parts and wanted to see
the route.

You can't get to Davis that way. Sacramento Avenue ends just west of the
Sacramento River, near the CHP Academy. It actually becomes Reed Avenue
for a couple of blocks, then ends. West of there is the Yolo Bypass
which is often completely flooded. It also doesn't have roads that are
palatable on a road bike.

My memory is pretty screwed up but I'm sure that I used to lead a
ride that went from San Leandro out across the country roads to Rio
Vista and then we had to cross quite a ways over and would take and
east=west route and come into Davis from the north. And then we would
ride into Sacramento for a hotel for the night and return the next
day. Perhaps there was a lot of lefts and rights to West Sacramento
but I don't remember that. Though it seems to me that driving it a
couple of years ago it was reasonably direct.

I wonder if we rode up to Woodland and then east?

Possibly. Then you might remember the train tracks parallel to E.Main
Street in Woodland which is just about the only way by bicycle because
you aren't allowed to ride on I-5 in that area. Afterwards you can
follow Old River Road to the I-Street Bridge but that sure is a looong
detour. Quite scenic though.

We always take the Tower Bridge when riding to West Sacramento. Drake's
Barn is a really nice place with lots of outdoor seating. If you come
from the west you can take either bridge and they both lead you right
into old town. There is a bike path on the eastern side of the
Sacramento River.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Yes, I looked at a map and it had to be the Tower Bridge I took. And I must have driven to Woodland and then down south into Davis.

You say that there's a bike path that is more direct? I assume that it goes right along the freeway with all of its accompanying noise?