Old February 10th 20, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How to suck all the joy from cycling

On 2/10/2020 2:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 9:47:14 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/9/2020 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Ride vehicularly -- jump into the fast moving traffic and ride prominently in position one! The cars will yield to you.

Nobody has ever claimed it's good to "jump into the fast moving
traffic." You don't jump; you wait for your chance, signal and merge
when it's safe to do so.

On almost all roads, motor vehicles travel in groups or platoons. There
are always clear spaces if you wait for them.

Do you seriously never ride on roads with 55 mph speed limits?? Do you
seriously never ride at lane center in a narrow lane??

Yes, every morning I chose to ride in on SW Barbur. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB4ROcPhCg&t=2s This morning, for example -- on super sore knees. And I'm happy to have a shoulder bike lane after clearing the bridges. And depending on traffic, you have to do some car herding -- I hit the induction loops for the lights and then start fading into to traffic, usually going 25mph and hopping someone doesn't want to be king chicken.

Sometimes "car herding" is what you have to do. It's a fact of life. But
as I said, one doesn't do it by (suddenly) jumping in front of a car
that's coming fast and close. That's mis-characterizing the technique.
The drivers in the clip were pretty well-mannered. The buses aren't so much, and then you get people that you're sure will mow you down. I can totally understand people not wanting to ride there.

Just down the road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsK3JUjgOU&t=14s That illustrates the dangers of wearing an orange safety vest. The bike had the right of way, but when cars fade over WITH A BLINKER, I jump around

I'd say it illustrates the danger of telling a bicyclist a stripe at the
far right will always keep him safe. It also illustrates the weirdness
of putting a straight-ahead lane to the right of a lane where right
turns are permitted; and giving those straight-ahead road users right of
way.
https://stephencorwin.com/blog/wp-co...right-hook.png

Have you ever seen that configuration anywhere else, besides bike lanes?
Can you imagine it on a freeway?

I understand that Oregon has a weird mandatory bike lane law. I don't
know how seriously it's enforced. But I don't think I would have done
what that rider did. It looks like that van's turn signal was on, and it
had to be slowing down for a reason.

--
- Frank Krygowski