Old February 12th 20, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Bridge lane

On 2020-02-10 09:58, Tom Kunich wrote:

[Bike connection Sacramento - Davis]

Yes, I looked at a map and it had to be the Tower Bridge I took.
And I must have driven to Woodland and then down south into
Davis.

You say that there's a bike path that is more direct? I assume
that it goes right along the freeway with all of its accompanying
noise?

Yes, directly next to I-80, boring and noisy.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/file...W-765x1024.jpg

To get to this bike path from Sacramento you still have to cycle through
West Sacramento (west of the river) and that's not always pleasant
when there is heavy traffic.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, the Woodside route you are on a levy road and there's not a lot
of traffic and it is mostly farmers so they are as polite as a famer
can be.

Those are easy and pleasant to ride.

... Crossing the Tower Bridge I really can't remember much of -
whether there was a pedestrian path or whether we would ride on the
road surface.

It has a small shoulder. Road bike riders use that and others use the
side walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/6v2f5hh1ooZCpLzL8

... The bridges to Alameda here are steel grating and most
cyclists won't ride on them. But once you get use to that it isn't
bad traction.

As long as there is no tire blow-out. I just lost another tire, a chunk
of the running surface from a Gatorskin went AWOL. Luckily since I run
thick thorn-resistant tubes plus tire liners on all bikes this one
didn't cause a blow-out or crash.

So I stocked up on Vittoria Zaffiro where I (so far) never had that
happen. Got three more in the basement now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have been riding Continental GP5000TLR tubeless tires. But they are not nice tires. They puncture a lot easier than they should and if the hole is large enough not to seal with the sealant, they develop a hop after you've "fixed" it with what they can "bacon". The traction is good to the point that the tire wanders around on the road surface from changes in tilt and such..

I have also used the Vittoria Corsa G+ tires and they work VERY well. They do not wear rapidly as I've seen published elsewhere and they have very good directional stability and don't make you nervous like the Continental. I just put a pair of Gatorskins on my Redline Di2 build only because I wanted to get rid of the new set that has been on the shelf for two years.