Old February 16th 20, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Better Braking?

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 12:32:22 UTC-5, Ted Heise wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:50:32 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 2/14/2020 10:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Well, someone could always very precisely measure some aspect
another guy cares nothing about and call it 'data'.

I don't think it's better to give no measurements, nothing but
a vague "mine is better" opinion, and say "data doesn't
matter."

Regarding the topic, braking, ditto. No one disputes that big
fluid discs have better peak braking power and heat dissipation
for sustained braking power. One might chart those factors
impressively in comparison to rim brakes. For the bike I ride
this time of year, a simple sidepull front with fixed gear is
perfectly adequate and I've never wanted for more braking
power[1] on that bike given the way I use it. I'm not Jay, nor
Joerg, who have different needs and taste.

[1] what that bike really needs is a heater!

My fixed gear is set up the same way; that is, just a simple front
rim brake.

Just coming out of single digit temps here; this heater idea has
some appeal. Perhaps an e-bike battery could be re-purposed?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

A can of Sterno or similar gel-alcohol fuel mounted on a gimble mount,
and shielded from the wind will work. I did it once for fun. I had an
inverted funnel over the windshield of the Sterno can and a flexible
metal hose attached to the funnel and then insulated where I had it go
under my jacket.

Cheers

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Terry Pratchett