Old May 29th 19, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Disk Brakes Again

On 5/28/2019 12:31 AM, Chalo wrote:
In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make noise. Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't get wet.

They do get wet but they shed water better than rims and work fine when
wet. Just look at disc brakes on cars.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always stay dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking that helps avoid unwanted skidding or overrun. They're also much cleaner than discs in the wet. I never hear any of the folks who tout discs' wet performance mention drums. Maybe they're more into new hotness than good wet braking? Or do they think weaker wheels make for better stopping?

I had a wheel with an Arai drum brake on my tandem. It was for long
descents when fully loaded to prevent rim overheating and blowouts. But
it was a drag brake, not something that provided responsive braking.