Old February 11th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

Default Texas wiseass

In article ,
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
Bill C wrote:

On Feb 8, 10:06*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
*"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Bill C" wrote in message

You can't see the difference between dangerous construction work, and
slipshod, improperly done work that is killing people?

By ALL means explain how that construction was more important than the
electrical distribution center in Iraq.

:Let's be clear on this Bill - something like a half dozen men FELL into
:the
concrete pour at the dam and no one tried to save them, they poured the
concrete over the top of them without even letting up for a minute.

* *I think, at worst, you're lying; at best, you're believing and perpetuating a bit
of mythology.

* *http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hoover.asp

Or was that OK since it was under Roosevelt?

* *And there's the reason Tom brings it up: "A *Democrat* did worse! Wahhhh!"

My objection is that it's comparing apples and beach balls. The
reality is that once the Hoover Dam was finished it's still
functioning today and doing it's job without killing people. The
construction process is seperate from the result of that process. You
can have a perfectly safe project that accurately replicates the plans
and specs, and end up with an unsafe POS or you can have a very
dangerous and risk filled process that ends up with a rock solid,
perfectly safe end product. Trying to link those is just wrong.

Oh yeah, I knew that, which is why I pointed it out to TK in the first place (I
should say that I was trying to emphasize your point). The fact he went on to peddle
the mythology that guys were "buried alive" in the process of making the Hoover dam
is an entirely different kettle of rotting fish. I was also trying to make sure it
was obvious that standards for many things (from job-site safety to electrical
wiring) have improved since the 1930s. For all the relevance the Hoover Dam
construction had with the situation you were talking about, he might as well have
brought up the construction of the pyramids or Machu Picchu.

Particularly as each pour was about 6 inch deep.

--
Michael Press