Old August 21st 05, 12:39 PM
Lou Holtman

Default Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Martin wrote:
The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop. It looks like the rivets have been inserted to the
correct depth. Nevertheless the contact area between rivets and plate is
substantially less than it should be and the peeening that would prevent
the rivet moving is absent.

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Many thanks

Martin

I would never ride with a chain rejoined with reused rivets. Even with 8
speed Shimano chains they say to rejoin them with a special pin. 10
speed chains have even thinner outer plates.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu