Old June 6th 05, 04:56 PM

Default Pedersen self energizing brakes.

Dirtroadie wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Anyway, there's a helix in there which applies the brake harder as the
pads are dragged forward by the rim.

OK, I understand that is the theory. What I don't grasp is how the
brake can be applied "harder" without a corresponding increase in the
force at the brake lever (through the cable), where the riders grip is
the only thing securing the brake lever.

Is this perhaps just a matter of anatomy where it is easier for the
hand to resist a force statically than it is to dynamically apply the
same force?

Am I missing something somewhere?

DR

The rotating force of the wheel pulls the pad forward.. the mechanism
then forces the pads tighter into the rim..

they worked OK when installed correctly.. except on some bikes where
most of the extra force went into forcing the canti pegs outward (the
stays would twist) the GT triple triangle were the worst.
Adding a brake booster would fix the stay flex and then they worked
quite well (assuming they were installed correctly)