Old January 31st 09, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Traffic Light Detectors

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:14:49 -0800 (PST), Nuxx Bar
wrote:

The car-hating trolls here think that there shouldn't be traffic-
actuated lights anyway. *They want fixed-time lights (and plenty of
them) so that motorists get held up unnecessarily when nothing's
coming the other way, and they like them to be synched so that
motorists have to stop at every set (just like that not-at-all-anti-
motorist ****** Livingstone liked to do). *As far as the trolls are
concerned, cyclists need not worry about red lights, as they can just
treat them as "give way" lines.

Completely wrong.

What we want is steel barriers to come down across the road, with gaps
for cyclists to go through in safety, but which prevent cars from
going anywhere with any meaningful speed.

We're already halfway there with rising
bollards and permanent barriers which let cyclists through, both of
which are (like other anti-motorist measures) unreservedly applauded
by those in question.

The dream is becoming a reality. I *love* the way you make me so
happy to be a cyclist.