Old February 16th 06, 06:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Cooked front pannier

Bleve wrote:
DeF wrote:

Made me think about what other damage the exhaust
could do if aimed at the wrong part of a bike (tire,
alloy rim, paint anywhere. Will be more careful
in future and there is *no way* I'm putting the CF
road bike on a beak, ever.

possible heat damage aside, I'd never clamp a CF bike around an area
that it's not meant to bear stresses. Ie: the top tube is not meant to
get crushed or deal with the stresses that it being fixed in the middle
will generate when you go over bumps etc. Keep it on the roof or
inside

I concur, the bike goes inside somehow, even if this means
taking both wheels off.

I don't like putting a bike on the roof. Once when I did this,
the driver of the car (not me) forgot and drove under a low
carport (before I could speak) catching the back of the seat
of the bike. The roof-rack was bent down into the roof of the
car (where the forks were attached) and the toe-clip holding the
rear wheel down snapped with a bang. Besides bent seat rails,
the bike was apparently unharmed by this.

Bike frames are amazingly strong. Another bike-laden car incident
involves bike on beak and speed humps. Car goes over bump too fast
(again, not me driving!), bike gets smashed into ground buckling
two wheels (no broken spokes) and scratching paint. The joins
on the rims moved so braking was ga-dunk-ga-dunk. The wheels were
never true again. No damage to the frame or forks though.

By the way, both bikes have steel frames.

It pains me to relive these traumatic events!

DeF

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.