Old February 17th 06, 12:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Cooked front pannier

On 2006-02-16, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

Ask Pete S about
tandems & garages .....

Hey Pete S. What's this I hear about tandems & garages?

'Twas a carport acksually. And that damn cat is lucky to still be in his
skin!

More? Oh, alright.

Travelling home from the 1999 Australia Day WE camp at Daylesford, with the
*old* tandem on its special roof rack. The rack mount above my head was even
squeaking on turns all the way home, so I was well aware of it. We turned
into the driveway and the cat was sitting there. Usually he moves away, but
he just sat there. I asked Margaret to get out and move him. Once the cat
was moved I reverted to autopilot and... drove.... under .. the.. CARPORT!!!

The rear hatch window shattered, raining broken glass all over the kids as
the very solid steel roof rack lifted at the front and smashed through. The
tandem (ooh, ooh, waaah!) was significantly shortened. Pretty much a write
off. Luckily a great second hand Trek tandem lande in Christies soon after,
and we bought that - $1800. Damage to the car - $2700. The insurance covered
that OK, but not the bike.

Now the tandem goes either on the roof bars lying flat, or it can be carried
on a tow bar bike-rack with the front wheel off. Roof carriers are just not
worth the grief.

Cheers
Peter