Old April 17th 14, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Result of today's race

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
On 16/04/2014 09:35, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote
On 15/04/2014 20:21, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote

There are moves afoot in London to ban cycling with headphones,

Looks more like a knee jerk proposal to appease the ignorant masses...

I am sure there must be a good reason for that, it seems unlikley that
it
would be randomly chosen for enforcement without reason or cause.

...and having jerked their knees it seems they're now running
around looking for some evidence to suggest a link.

a cyclist went under a train just a couple of months ago, he was wearing
headphones, two other people shouted at him to stop, but he could not
hear
them. One incident like that is too many, but there are others.

What has being on a bike got to do with it? It was obviously the same eye
problem that a lot of people have.

However, I am certain that you know best,

Thank you.

cyclists always do

There is something even more certain than that; nobody ever takes advice
from a busybody.

the cyclist did not hear the train horn, nor the shouts, do you think he
might have heard without headphones? I do. The coroner did.

So what is the particular relevance with riding bicycles? (And for goodness
sake do try harder than "this is a cycling newsgroup".)

But thank you for your advice. The next time I find myself unexpectedly
teleported onto a railway track, I shall try to remember to look out for
trains.

Your last sentence proves the need for legislation, you evidently do not
know best.

Something seems to make you think you know best.

Behaving like a spoilt brat with a God complex seems to be
cyclist modus operandi.

You are the one that wants to interfere, yet accuse me of playing god? You
really haven't thought this through.

Yesterday I tried the effect of putting cotton wool in one ear. The
one affected by the moron with the horn a couple of weeks ago had not
fully recovered before being irritated by a sore throat. I have been in the
habit for several years of using cotton wool or noise cancelling in-ear
phones (without music) to take the edge off noisy places. First time on the
bike. Yes, it improved perception - I found I could more easily separate out
the sounds of individual vehicles. I expect a reduction in wind noise was
the significant factor.

It also helps reinforce what I already knew. Vehicle noise is only a useful
aid on roads with light motor traffic. In town, it gives little value.

So it looks like there's potential for more tuning - to cut as much
vehicle noise as possible but try to avoid losing the properly important
stuff,
such as birds singing, rustling leaves, jogger's feet on tarmac, the snick
of the bicycle chain and so on.