Old July 19th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Cleaning of chain and all components

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:36:23 +1000, James
wrote:

On 19/7/19 9:02 am, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:32:37 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The other advantage of a wax based lube, or at least my
experience, has been, that it doesn't seem to wash off in the
rain.

Meh. Everything washes off in the rain. It's just a matter of time.
Parffin flakes off and doesn't give you an corrosion protection. I
just use the Lou method -- rise, lather repeat. I'm not going to be
hanging out in the garage melting wax, particularly since most of my
chains have single-use quick-links.

For neat paraffin wax, I agree and it was my experience that the chain
would rust after a wet ride. So I added oil to the wax. The result is
good corrosion resistance and a relatively clean and smooth running chain.

I do something similar. When I initially decided to go with the wax
lube I went to a "candle store" where they sell mainly candles for
church or temple affairs but also sell wax and candle wicks and so on
for those that want to do it themselves. Anyway, they had both
paraffin and bee's wax so I bought the paraffin and a little bee's wax
(it is bloody expensive ) thinking that the bee's wax would make the
paraffin a bit more flexible, it didn't, or I didn't use enough, so I
added some light viscosity synthetic grease and that has worked real
well.

I don't start out on a ride if it is raining but I've been caught a
number of times in some pretty good showers and as far as I can see it
has never washed the wax airway and I've never seen a spot of rust on
the chain.... but to be honest I never saw any rust when I was using
spray lube on the chain either :-)
--
cheers,

John B.