Old July 19th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Cleaning of chain and all components

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 19:43:09 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/18/2019 5:54 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 13:11:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 5:39:48 AM UTC+2, AK wrote:
I spent about 3.5 hrs. cleaning my chain and everything it comes in contact with.

What a tedious job.

Used the following:

1. Engine cleaner
2. Paint thinner
3. Used toothbrush
4. Occasional foul language

I mentioned it to my friendly bike repair guy and he said many do not realize the damage a dirty chain does to the bearings etc.

It shortens their life.

I think it helped as I think I can go around 3 mph faster.

Any other maintenance tips?

Thanks,
Andy

It always too soon to quit.

If you ride a 15 dollar chain and a 30 dolar cassette and you are not a bike nerd like some of us don't do that again. Wipe your chain as clean as possible with a rag before lubing. Lube regularly with whatever oily stuff and ride the **** out of your chain until some gears starts to skip. Then replace the chain and cassette. If you ride a 45 dollar chain and a 200 dollar cassette pay attention to some of the advice you get.

Lou, my 2 cents.

If you aren't a "bike nerd" take the bike to the shop and let somebody
else do it :-)

We listen politely to 'please clean my chain' as we write
"new chain' on the service order. Saves customer a pile of
money.

When we were in Phuket much of the time the bike shop in the next
little town washed a lot of bikes. They would tell the customer
"tomorrow, tomorrow" until they collected several bike and than the
mechanic would come in early one day and wash them with a pressure
washer and it was $10.00 each.
--
cheers,

John B.