Old July 28th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default TdF and recumbents

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Andy Wilkinson's UK End-toEnd record is a good case for recumebnts. When
he set the record on a recumbent he beat the existing record held by...
himself, on an upright!

in other words, he had, if anything, considerably more upright experience
yet still posted a better time on the 'bent.

Dare I mention that it was faired? Was the upright?

I suspect it is nick and tuck between recumbents and uprights on the flats,
but it can't be that in the mountains. I just don't see how recumbents can
climb hills at all well, fairing or no fairing.

Recumbents have a well deserved reputation for not being able to climb
hills. It is why all recumbents need to have very low gears compared to
uprights.

What Ed is missing is that the proper recumbent climbing technique
involves a higher cadence than the upright climbing technique.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”