Old October 15th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals

I"ve been using SPD pedals on my road bikes for years. They actually
have both single sided and double sided models. I have the 929 on
road bikes, 540 on tandem, and wife liked the black decor of the 520
model. I've noticed no difference in performance or durability of the
various models. I ride with a T091 or Lake SPD sandals. The T092,
which is the current model, has smooth soles. I don't use road
pedals, shave my legs, and use a mirror but that doesn't stop me from
having to take pulls in the line or slow me down in a chase.

I personally believe that much of what is said about road pedals is
just so much myth. I have comfortable shoes that stay firmly attached
to the pedals and I can walk comfortably as well.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:42:04 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on both
bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of only
needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and the more
expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm not all
that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a good idea
for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly at traffic
lights.