Old October 15th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Higson

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals

Lou Holtman wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping
cleats over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on
both bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of
only needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and
the more expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm
not all that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a
good idea for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly
at traffic lights.

The M520 are all you need. The best buy in SPD pedals IMO.

The other cool thing about the 520s is my mountain bike has silver cranks
and my road bike black, and the M520s come in both colours. I wouldn't pay
extra for this, but it is neat to have at no extra cost.

I can get both pairs for £36 inc delivery online. Just one pair of basic
look-type pedals would probably cost more than that.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Jim