Old January 20th 18, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default not enough standards

On 2018-01-19 14:55, sms wrote:
On 1/19/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/knolly-...axle-standard/

Hell, I can remember way back when a guy could swap wheels between two
different bicycles.

I SPIT on the whole 1x movement.

+1

I also spat on the 2x movement. My road bike has 2x (42/52) but because
it is 35 years old and back then that's all you could get. I suffer on
steep hills for that but as the drill sergeant always said, anything
that doesn't instantly kill you makes you tough.

In my area, if you want to ride up into the Santa Cruz mountains and
you're older than a millenial, it's really nice to have a triple on a
road bike. In the early 1980's, triples weren't that common then around
1983 most of the road bikes sold around hear suddenly were coming with
triples, like my Specialized Sirrus, which had a dual and a triple
option, with the triple at an extra $100. Touring bikes of course had
triples for a long time.

Last year I did a benefit ride, which I normally avoid but my little
group of troublemakers had a team, and those without a triple were
suffering.

A compact will get you the same usable gears, more or less -- the less being wider steps to get you the same low gear. A 32t 11sp cassette with a 34t chainring nets a 28" gear. That's stock on my Norco Search. I never touch it except going up this one dirt trail where I lose traction (on road tires) before I run out of gears.

-- Jay Beattie.