Old March 19th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Plan B (does not necessarily exclude Plan A)

On 2009-03-19, Tom Sherman wrote:
Plan B would be to get a commuter bike to ride at least in the winter,
and to use for errands. Commuting distance combined with a shopping stop
would be 8 miles or less.

Requirements a

A. Heavy duty frame - should be able to handle 120 kgf of rider and
cargo on less than ideal roads. Rigid fork hard-tail required.
B. Corrosion resistant - a fat tube aluminium alloy frame is fine as
long as it is overbuilt (see A).
C. Decent handling on snow, ruts, gravel, over broken pavement.
D. Mounts for fenders and clearance for fat (60-mm) tires.
E. Mounts for a rear rack that can handle two loaded bucket panniers.
F. Able to use an internally gear hub.
G. Dynamo hub lighting.
H. Hub brakes - drums preferred for theft resistance.
I. ISO 559-mm wheel size preferred for greater fat tire choices.

Candidates?
Tout Terrain?

http://peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

I would have to sprint through the grocery store to get back before it
was stolen.

You seriously need to find an apartment in a nicer part of M'waukee.

No, this will be after my move to Eye-Oh-Wuh.

Or are you getting back at me for suggesting the Big Bang in response to
the question of what a good $50 light would be?

Moi? Vengeful? You've been in too many flame wars, Tom. I whole-heartedly
endorse B&M lights, even in the face of the dollar being worth less than
a roll of Charmin.

No, I was considering your suggestion in good humor. However, an IQ Cyo
is much more likely in my future than a Big Bang.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll