Old November 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 20, 8:09*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
Not on major streets. It depends whether you are talking about a
bikeable place or just a "hole"...

(and there's a lot of people living in it, see poll)

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=487455

For some values of "a lot". *That's a statistically meaningless sample.

Now the question is how many decades we will take to make drivers, who
are used to the law of the jungle, more civilized?

It takes time, but it can (and does) happen. *For example, not too
long ago in the UK "one for the road" was perfectly acceptable
amongst the general population. *Nowadays drink driving is a pretty
major no-no for the general public.

Though I suspect the most important driver of changing attitudes
will be the price if fuel going up, as that puts more peple on bikes.

OK, OK, but here is NOT EVEN AN ISSUE, nor will I expect it to be.
Before you can even fix the problem, you must accept you have a
jungle, right?

Just browse...

http://www.lulu.com/content/186268

One question, one characteristic that hints at a jungle is GATED
COMMUNITIES, where the Rich and Powerful isolate themselves in
relative safety, and then let the world fall prey to the Law of the
Jungle.

Is the UK like that? How often you find them in Europe for that
matter?