Old November 20th 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 20, 11:41*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:
One question, one characteristic that hints at a jungle is GATED
COMMUNITIES, where the Rich and Powerful isolate themselves in
relative safety, and then let the world fall prey to the Law of the
Jungle.

Is the UK like that? How often you find them in Europe for that
matter?

There's one just around the corner from me. *Since we're in a very
un-troubled neighbourhood the consensus around where I live is it's a
complete waste of time for those who've bought houses in there.

So they're not isolating themselves in relative safety, they're just
isolating themselves. *Their problem, not mine, rather than the other
way about.

You seem obsessed that you're living in a jungle. *While I'm sure there
are parts of our respective nations that conform to the description I've
not seen much that suggests it's the rule rather than the exception.
Certainly not the case that it's a fair generalisation, yet that's what
you will persist in doing.

Are you watching too many American shows? That may account for an
excess in SUVs and gated communities.

They are here everywhere, so they must mean something. Actually, I
think they mean the same as in Mexico or Costa Rica...

"about the EU and gated communities. I have not seen one. You can find
certain suburban towns where poverty is higher than the norm..
Certainly precautions such as bullet proof glass, I have yet to
find... What I notice.. No trailer parks.. Trailer parks are often sub
income and in a state of squalor.. It's rare to find such an invention
thourghout the EU.. Why. For the most part, you go to the biggest
towns we have extensively walked about town centers and not felt
unsafe. Places such as Barcelona, you might find your pockets picked,
but you are safe. So why a need for gated communities."

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=488100