Old November 20th 08, 08:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

In rec.bicycles.misc Peter Clinch wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:

Now the question is how many decades we will take to make drivers, who
are used to the law of the jungle, more civilized?

It takes time, but it can (and does) happen. For example, not too
long ago in the UK "one for the road" was perfectly acceptable
amongst the general population. Nowadays drink driving is a pretty
major no-no for the general public.

Though I suspect the most important driver of changing attitudes
will be the price if fuel going up, as that puts more peple on bikes.

That's what I've observed for myself. That the thing that really
motivates most poeple is when the cost to their pocketbook rises. This
is especially true if it's a rapid rise. Inconveinence in the form of
traffic jams, poor parking and other things help also. But cost seems
to be a big driver (no pun intended) of people's change in behaviour.

--
Dane Buson -
"Never draw fire; it irritates the people around you."