Old January 16th 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default combination spanners with different inclinations

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 03:51:14 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

For such contortions, I recommend an open end
crowfoot wrench:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=open+end+crowfoot+wrench

Yuk! Looks awful!

Well, I could probably find one that's nickel plated. Would that look
less awful?

I hope I never have to
get/use that! Never saw one either so they
cannot be that common.

Quite common among those who want a very compact tool box. All you
need is a ratchet wrench or breaker bar, a small collection of
crowfoot wrench ends, and you have something that will work at almost
any angle without adding extra pounds to your tool kit in duplicated
"handles". They're available in thin wrenches, which are more
suitable for bicycle work, like this Park's pedal wrench:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pedal-Wrench-Crow/dp/B00JXNZMMQ

Perhaps more common in
other fields of mechanics like cars or
even aeroplanes?

Dunno where they're popular. All of the major hand tool manufactories
sell them, so it's not like they're stuck in a niche market. Here's
SnapOn's 42 piece set. Not sure of the price, but it's VERY high:
https://store.snapon.com/Open-End-inches-chrome-3-8-Drive-42pc-Open-End-Crowfoot-Wrench-Set-7-16-3--P631834.aspx
More. Notice the prices:
https://store.snapon.com/Open-End-inches-chrome-C867430.aspx
and that it's listed under "Aviation hand tools".

I have a set of 3/8" drive crowfoot wrenches that I keep in my car. I
don't use them very often, but they're useful when nothing else will
fit.

A hinged ratcheting box and open end combination wrench is another
possible solution:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=5762
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GearWrench-7-Pc-Metric-Ratcheting-Combination-Flex-Head-Wrench-Set-9900-10-12-/252840233876

--