Old January 20th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default not enough standards

On 2018-01-19 14:55, sms wrote:
On 1/19/2018 8:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/knolly-...axle-standard/

Hell, I can remember way back when a guy could swap
wheels between two
different bicycles.

I SPIT on the whole 1x movement.

+1

I also spat on the 2x movement. My road bike has 2x (42/52)
but because it is 35 years old and back then that's all you
could get. I suffer on steep hills for that but as the drill
sergeant always said, anything that doesn't instantly kill
you makes you tough.

... There is no way to get the
range that
was possible with 2x or 3x, even with a 10-42, and the
rear derailleur
has to take up a huge amount of chain between the high and
low cogs.

I guess if the mountain bike is transported to the
trail-head on a
vehicle, and never ridden on-road, that you can get by
without the high
gears.

Even regular 3x MTBs like mine tucker out at 28-30mph
because the biggest ring is only 42T. On the last 4-5 miles
home I sometimes wish it had 52T like my road bike. IOW 4x
would be even better. Or coarse steps, that would be the
optimum.

That said, the front shifter on my mountain bike stopped
going into high
last Saturday, and I had to buy a replacement set of Deore
shifters, $40
from REI. I opened up the old one but it was beyond my
ability to fix
it, so yesterday I changed the front shifter. Definitely
can see the
advantage of not having the extra complexity. But on the
trail I was on,
which was not steep except for a few short stretches, I
wanted those
high gears.

Could have used the redneck shifter: A somewhat straight
piece of a small branch with a 90 degree li'l branch (or a
nail) sticking out the side. When a buddy's chain pretzeled
and ripped off the front derailer that's how he shifted. It
worked so well that he forgot to order a new derailer for a
few months.

Easy; not even expensive:
http://www.abundantadventures.com/quads.html

Unfortunately though, quote "All Mountain TamerTM adapters
work with cranks having standard 74mm bolt circle (43.4mm
hole spacing) 5 bolt pattern only".

I could remove all the Shimano 600 stuff and mount other
stuff. It won't be expensive to do either but so far I have
tried to keep the old bike somewhat original.

Some day I'll have to. While right now I can still muscle up
the hills there is another more serious problem. I regularly
break spokes. The last one went on Wednesday on the last
10mi home. So I'll soon be looking for a 700c 7-speed FH
rear wheel with 12ga spokes, as many of them as possible. A
tandem wheel would be best but their rims are too wide. The
max tire width I can get in there is 25mm.

Shimano 600 FC6207 triple is indeed 74mm on the small ring.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/