Old January 20th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default not enough standards

On 2018-01-19 14:55, sms wrote:

[...]

That said, the front shifter on my mountain bike stopped
going into high
last Saturday, and I had to buy a replacement set of
Deore
shifters, $40
from REI. I opened up the old one but it was beyond my
ability to fix
it, so yesterday I changed the front shifter. Definitely
can see the
advantage of not having the extra complexity. But on the
trail I was on,
which was not steep except for a few short stretches, I
wanted those
high gears.

Could have used the redneck shifter: A somewhat straight
piece of a small branch with a 90 degree li'l branch (or a
nail) sticking out the side. When a buddy's chain
pretzeled
and ripped off the front derailer that's how he
shifted. It
worked so well that he forgot to order a new derailer
for a
few months.

Easy; not even expensive:
http://www.abundantadventures.com/quads.html

Unfortunately though, quote "All Mountain TamerTM adapters
work with cranks having standard 74mm bolt circle (43.4mm
hole spacing) 5 bolt pattern only".

I could remove all the Shimano 600 stuff and mount other
stuff. It won't be expensive to do either but so far I have
tried to keep the old bike somewhat original.

Some day I'll have to. While right now I can still muscle up
the hills there is another more serious problem. I regularly
break spokes. The last one went on Wednesday on the last
10mi home. So I'll soon be looking for a 700c 7-speed FH
rear wheel with 12ga spokes, as many of them as possible. A
tandem wheel would be best but their rims are too wide. The
max tire width I can get in there is 25mm.

Shimano 600 FC6207 triple is indeed 74mm on the small ring.

My Shimano 600 double is 130mm by coarse measurement. The
derailer would not take anymore anyhow, front and rear
derailers would need to be replaced and then I might as well
buy a whole new set. Which I might do some day as I get
older or if I start tackling steeper terrain around here. So
far I just walked up really steep parts because there is
also a high chance of snapping a spoke.

Oh a road bike. A horse of a different color as it were.

I think I misunderstood your comment yesterday, "Even
regular 3x MTBs like mine tucker out at 28-30mph " as
referring to an MTB. Silly me.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/