Old July 27th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default public policy theory discovers bicycles

On 2018-07-26 17:19, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... DONALD TRUMP IS AGAIN SCREWING YOU PERSONALLY!
Stealing your money and not giving you a path.

He is not. The tax reform alone was a major success. I
could not believe the barrage of project requests I
received as a consultant since January this year. It just
comes at the wrong time in life for me as I am trying to
reduce my project load, easing towards retirement. More
brewing, more riding.

I'm a clear loser under the Trump tax plan which means that I
am subsidizing you.

Because you can't deduct the full Oregon income tax anymore?
Why should the rest of the country subsidize left-leaning
states in the first place? That never made sense.

Are you nuts? Why should anyone pay tax on tax?

You don't. This would be fair: You pay x percent on you full AGI
in Oregon and then xx percent to Uncle Sam. It is not Uncle Sam's
fault when some states and sometimes even cities take an additional
cut. People have the option to move to places where that isn't the
case.

... The notion of paying tax on tax has rankled true
conservatives for years. Conservatives hated the AMT. I can see
cutting out the mortgage deduction, but making me pay tax on
money I never see . . . really? This was a punish-your-enemies
move.

So please explain: Why does Oregon not let you deduct your federal
tax payment to calculate what you must pay to the folks in Salem?

You can deduct your federal tax payment in Oregon, although it's
capped and it phases out at higher earning levels.

See? And why are you complaining that the Federales now do it the same way?

... There is no cap on
deducting property tax, which is the killer. And two wrongs don't
make a right!

Read the tax plan -- it targets a very specific demographic for
upside and downside. It is one of the retaliatory pieces of
legislation I have seen. Not just misguided or expensive like
much legislation, but a clear stick in the eye to middle-income
blue-staters.

Nope. They are free to move to states with better fiscal behavior.
I live in a blue state but I fully understand that a guy in WA
state (another blue state!) is not willing to subsidize me by
giving me a tax break that he doesn't get and doesn't need. So how
exactly is this disfavoring middle-income blue staters?

Move to the blue state of WA. That fixes your problem. But you'd
have to by more rain coats for cycling.

Well, good point, WA is the exceptional blue state with no income
tax, although it has a high sales tax. Property tax is high-ish but
not insane like Portland. And I AM moving to Washington when I
retire -- to a place with either the same weather (Vancouver area) or
drier-but-colder weather across from Hood River.
https://dz50uvolvwipn.cloudfront.net..._full-sail.jpg
Drive across the bridge and shop tax free! Talk about being suckers,
Oregon subsidizes the Washingtonians who shop here tax free.

That is what people from as far as the area north of Seattle did when
they were in need of pricier goods. They mounted a van on the weekend
and drove down to Oregon to shop.

And with global warming, Oregon/southern Washington is the new
Mediterranean -- dry, hot but not scorching. I'm actually starting
to miss the rain. I'm still pondering France, but then I'd have to
learn French and buy a devil suit.

No need for a suit in Southern France but yes, you would need to learn
French. It's not that difficult though. Though as I said, as a cyclist
I'd stay off the Routes Nationales and also their sections that go
through small towns.

Soon you may also have to learn Arabic though :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/