Old September 14th 19, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Problems with upper gears

On Friday, 13 September 2019 20:14:08 UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:57:26 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/10/2019 5:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 2:17:40 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/8/2019 3:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 10:35:43 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

The 8 shifter is compatible.
Common problems include cable/casing/ferrule issues and rear
changer misalignment.
It ought to shift well and quietly with all new equipment.
This has a new seven chain, new FW and new cable/casing right?

Since when is an 8-speed shifter compatible with a 6-speed cassette or freewheel?

Cheers

Yikes. You're right. I missed that.

If it's still a SIX freewheel, there's no way that shifter
could work.

And by the way, WTF? Six shifters are cheap and plentiful.
As are Sevens.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Didn't 6,7 and 8 all have the same spacing? So that you could use a 8 spd shifter on a 6 speed? I would turn my daughter's 6 speed downtube shifter to friction and let her shift the 8 until I found some brifters.

7 & 8 are very similar. Six is not even close and spacing is
visually so different I can't believe anyone would even try it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The new 6-speed shifter will not be in till next week for the change out, so I am still using a SunRace 8 speed index shifter with a 6-speed freewheel.

Today my bike started acting strangely.

It would start being harder to pedal when in several of the lower gears.

I had to stop several times to loosen the derailleur a little to get home..

Could that possibly be caused by having an 8-speed shifter with a 6 speed freewheel?

Andy

An 8-speed shifter will not work with a 6-speed cluster unless the 8-speed shifter has a FRICTION option as well as he index one. Can you post a link to an image of your rear 8-speed shifter? Perhaps then we can tell you if it has that needed friction option.

I wish I'd looked in my parts boxes earlier in this thread as I found some 6-speed twist-grip shifters in it. I'd send you one gratis if you hadn't already ordered one.

Cheers