View Single Post
Old August 17th 19, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 11:57:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 3:01:47 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

Actually, the one weird tool I wish I had once was the pre-load cap tool for a Shimano Hollotech crank when my son got massive chain suck and jammed the chain between the stay and the ring. It was really, really stuck, and I was going to pull the crank. I tried to back out the cap with a screw driver and just munged it up. I eventually got the chain loose, but not without marring the stay.

Did you loosen the pinch bolts first? It is standard procedure for a friend of mine who put a triple crankset on a frame not suitable for that. As a result he drops the chain regurarly between the small ring and bottom bracket and gets really stuck.

Lou

Yes. I was surprised that my little screw driver couldn't spin the cap. BTW, another problem with super-small tools is generating 12Nms for bolts like seat clamps and crank pinch bolts, but I've managed to get them tight enough to get home. I changed my saddle angle on a ride the other day, and that bolt has a 16Nm and will shift if not tight. I put a nice welt in my hand with the little pocket tool, and when I got home and used a torque wrench, I was probably at 10Nm with the pocket tool, if that.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home