Old December 8th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default Training or Plain Riding?

In article ,
Bret Wade wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:
In article
,
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Dec 6, 12:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

If you were even a half decent engineer, you'd figure out that it's
fast and easy to pinpoint a set of bearings that will outlast the rest
of the wheelset, buy them with a few clicks of the mouse and install
them.
I do find it comical that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking
about but don't have a problem demonstrating it to everyone else.

If only you knew. If you're ever in San Diego, I'll show you around
the shop. It's likely, deduced from the content of your posts, that
you don't know how most of the **** works.

How bizarre was that? You post a simple solution to the "problem" he was whinging
about and he says *you* don't have a clue? Tom's connection to reality when it comes
to things like this is tenuous, at best. Like the time he insisted that Look makes the
molds for their cleats on manual mills in North Africa and that I didn't "have a clue"
about how molds are made. I think you know a bit about what my knowledge level
is in machining.

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway. And the fork failures described both
involved crashes where operator error was the root cause and a crash
would have occurred whether the fork failed or not.

That's pretty much what I saw. His later comments about how the "bad bearings"
allowed a freehub to skip seems dubious to me, at least on a Mavic wheel. The way the
wheel is assembled, there'd have to be a *lot* of sideplay in the bearings before the
pawls would skip. I'll bet the problem was worn teeth on the cassette. As for the
"fork failures," when a fork breaks because you stuck your size 13 hoof into the
moving wheel, it isn't really a fork failure. They really aren't designed to handle
things like that. (By the way: a "new fangled pedal" that failed? WTF? Which one is
that? The last new pedal design I can recall is the Crank Bros. from about 10 years
ago. And how is the fact that he pulled his foot out a "failure" of the pedal?) His
story about a bike having a head tube pop cleanly off is one he's told previously,
naming Parlee as the brand. I'd bet if someone got in contact with Parlee, they'd get
told that Parlee has no records of any such incident.

Maybe T ought to consider getting a steel fork, clips, straps and cleats and 36
spoke wheels (straight 14 gauge spokes, too). That way he won't find it so easy to
pull his great ham loose and stick it into his own front wheel. Just sayin'.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe