Old December 8th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Training or Plain Riding?

"Bret" wrote in message

Just stating my opinion. The only bearing failures I've experienced
were due to excessive drag. Several times I've had bearings develop
play because they came out of adjustment and I blamed the mechanic
(me) for that.

Most of the presently made hubs are using some undersized bearings. This
doesn't prevent them from working well, it simply limits their lifespan.
There's no way to fix this since it would reqiure a hub redesign. There are
no "better" bearings that would last any longer. What's more, the most
expensive bearings might even wear faster since their clearances are less
and are made to turn with less resistance from bearing wobble and not to
have a longer lifespan.

The fork failures you described we
1. Rider hits dog, leading to incident where fork breaks.
2. Rider inserts foot in front wheel leading to incident where fork
breaks.

Correct me if I have that wrong. My opinion is that any incident
serious enough to cause the fork to break would have caused a serious
crash anyway and that the fork failure was incidental rather than a
root cause of the injury sustained. That's not making things up.

In the first incident the fork didn't break. The entire headtube broke off
of the frame. I have since seen more than one case of this on a couple of
different brands.

Yes, in the second case the fork broke off. But if it were a steel fork it
wouldn't have and worse case it would have bent a little. But as I stated,
the crash would have been substantially different. Generally you suffer less
in a sideways crash than a head first crash. Also the foot would have never
have gotten into the spokes if there were more spokes.

Mind you, this isn't the fault of the companies that sold these parts. This
was clearly my fault for using such equipment regularly. I should have
understood these possible problems with this equipment and either changed it
or taken more care. (BTW - the one problem that I have taken care of is that
I have stopped using Crank Bros pedals. Mind you, they have begun making the
cleats out of a different material but I believe that the problem still
exists. Note the Shimano pedals "failure" as the clears wear is that they
become more difficult to get out of, not easier.)

My speculation about a lawsuit was unwarranted, but it is clear that
you like to blame others for your problems.

Perhaps you'd like to point out where I blamed others? You seem to be
following the postings of those who I have recently criticized pertaining to
their pointless discussions. If there's anything these people like to do
more than misrepresent others, it is to group attack someone. Join such a
band of *******s at your own risk.