Old May 29th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Fun with exponents

AMuzi writes:

On 5/29/2020 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:28:55 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2020 17:52:39 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/27/2020 3:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2020 18:56:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
Bicycle related drivel:
Water bottle fail. I grabbed it, and the now brittle plastic
crumbled. My guess(tm) is it was 30 years old. Argh.
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/water%20bottle%20fail.html

Blank page. So much for bibycle related content. I updated my photo
album software from Jalbum 20.0 to the latest 20.1. I also added the
above photo. The new and improved release did some odd things and
took far too long to coplete the upload. The next morning, I
discovered that all the photos on my web pile were gone. I have
backups, but until I put the mess back together, no photos. Sorry.

I saw it yesterday.

I also saw it yesterday. It was coming out of some manner of web
cache and not directly from the 1and1.com server. Hard to tell what's
happening as Shodan shows a weird server name:
74-208-236-55.elastic-ssl.ui-r.com
https://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=74-208-236-133.elastic-ssl.ui-r.com
Anyway, when the cache flushed overnight, all my photos went with it.
I'm resisting the temptation to completely change the structure of
the web site, but suspect it will be necessary anyway.

Typical outgassed polymer failure.

Thanks. The bottom of the bottle says it's LDPE (low-density
polyethylene) and was made in 1992 (28 years old). I've seen plastic
crumble, but not quite the way this bottle decided to crumble. Google
couldn't find anything useful under "outgassed polymer failure". Could
you point me to a web page where I can read about it? I've never seen
anything crumble this badly and I'm curious as to the failure
mechanism. (If you're busy, don't bother).

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff, surely you're not worried about a $2 item that was long past
its useful life since these things are degraded by UV light and you
ride a lot in the sunshine?

Tom don't be such an ass.
Intellectual curiosity is plenty enough reason. Would you have told
Newton to sit under some other type of tree?

I'm guessing he was sitting under a tree because the public houses were
all closed, there being a plague and all. Could be some physics
breakthroughs percolating in some minds even now.