Old October 14th 18, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Two farmers' markets and a craft show

At last! Today's ride gave me not one, but *two* ideas! I'll
extravagantly use up both in one post.

The main street in town is lined with parked cars, but between the
Cerulean and the post office, there's a gap long enough to pull over
to let traffic go by, without needing to stop or even slow down.

When leaving town this morning, I had just passed the last parked car,
and signaled before getting back into the parking lane.

After making the lane change, I reflected that the guy behind me, if
any, didn't need to know that I was about to swerve right -- but he
*did* need to know that I wasn't going to swerve left without warning.

I think I could get an entire column out of the idea that sometimes
you signal just to let people know that you are in the habit of
signaling.

Since the readership seems to be divided between those spry enough to
mount in one smooth motion and those who put on chain guards and don't
mind the tug-tug-tug of cuffs wearing out by brushing the chain
guards, I doubt that the following will be of any use.

I wore sweat pants for the first time today -- better than four pairs
of ill-fitting tights! -- and remembered an old rule. "If you pin
wings into the ankles of your pants, resist the temptation to use the
right wing as a handle when lifting your foot over the top bar."

Pulling on the wing will bend the pin, sometimes enough to make it pop
open, and might tear the fabric.

I doubt that the stout brass pins I used today would bend, but I
refrained from pulling on the wing anyway.

Lovely day for a ride, but I cut it short in order to get back in time
for lunch at The Heritage Room -- and the "music" was so loud that I
had to leave before I'd gotten a single bite.

But at home I had some excellent corn bread and three kinds of good
cheese. I melted the chevre onto the swiss in the microwave.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---