Old December 14th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Martin Borsje[_6_]

Default Nearly got into an accident

expressed precisely :
On Dec 13, 3:54*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article
, * * * *
writes:

On Dec 13, 2:15*pm, "PatTX" wrote:
So, there I was, riding straight down the street on the right side about 2
feet from the curb, when a driver passed me and then immediately turned
right! It was one of those "time-slows-down" moments, but I managed to
brake just enough to avoid hitting the car's right rear tire. The teen
driver didn't even notice, but the older woman waiting to pull out from
that side street was astonished. It's amazing how much you can notice when
time is standing still....

I got to thinking, "How could I be safer" and the only thing I can think
of is to check in my mirror for overtaking drivers each and every time as
I approach a cross street. Can anyone think of something else?
Pat in TX
there really is nothing you can do to prevent that; crossstreets,
driveways, parking lots they're everywhere as are the idiots who pass
and block you with their car.

There is /much/ a rider can do, and it begins with one's attitude.

hell, a simple short ride got me like
that ten years ago some girl driving her dads car ( who probabally
only drove a few goats there before being allowed to drive a 2000kg
car over here) ; front tooth, busted nose, I might have even lost an
eye by the extent of the gouges left on my brikos. you can ride slower
so the inertia doesn't carry you forward so much when you need to
emergency stop but that is quite anethama to the joy of cycling

I recommend a perusal of the book: The Art of Urban Cycling:
Lessons From the Street, by Robert Hurst. *It'll verify &
articulate a bunch of stuff you've already subconciously
figured out, and provide you with some more insights that
just might come in handy.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

no, she was just plain old stupid, she went into the other lane to
pass me then braked making a sharp turn right in front of me; I was
doing about 35kph when this happened; there was no reason she had to
pass me

Most likely she didn't even see you at all!