Old March 22nd 05, 11:53 PM
Ken Pisichko

Thanks James, but I still have questions.....

James Thomson wrote:

"Ken Pisichko" wrote:

I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install
on my "being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and
the two plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know
how to put this together. None of my bicycles have cantilever
brakes, so I have no idea whatsoever.

Here's an exploded view of a late model XT canti:

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shiman...-M737_1996.gif

Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with the cable
(on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable goes
through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards. However, there is
another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what they are
for, nor what they do.

The later model one (see below on the shimano site), has a 1-piece cable
(number 11) attaching to both levers.

And finally, Shimano have a pdf of their R550 canti:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ew/BR-R550.pdf

HTH

James Thomson