Old April 21st 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Selecting An Appropriate Bolt

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:17:23 AM UTC-7, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:37:15 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

On 4/17/2017 1:52 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Get a new stem. This one is a flawed design. There is built-in problem with the shape of the part, and that is a lack of remaining metal around the bolt hole. The stem has been made bigger around the front bolt hole to overcome this, but it still has the 2-bolt-1-failure problem. The traditional shape does not make this concession to ease-of-handlebar-change, and carefully places the single bolt in the rear where there is plenty of metal surrounding the threads.
The traditional design is both less likely to experience a bolt failure, and - in the wild guess dept., be more likely to hold on to the bars and remain usable in the event that one does.

I'm he OP. It so happens that the rear bolt was the one that snapped,
which seems to contradict your assertion about the design's weak point.

Art

And, if I remember correctly, after only 15 years too :-)

This is false logic. There are at least 15 parts on your bike; by your policy we should expect catastrophic part failure once per year.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. A bolt that broke after
15 years of use is somehow associated with something that breaks
annually?