Old August 12th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-11 16:52, sms wrote:
On 8/11/2017 4:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 6:54:57 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

When I had to ride from where I lived in the Netherlands (Vaals) to
Maastricht I could pretty much set my 12-speed bike on the bike path,
put it in 12th gear and hammer those 20 miles. I did the same distance
here (Cameron Park to Folsom) yesterday for an errand. Aside from mixing
in with fast traffic at times which some potentially interested cyclists
don't like I also had to hack it across a dirt field for half a mile,
including crossing a muddy creek and lifting the bike over some low
fences. Hardly anyone would be willing to do the latter. On the way back
it was mostly along a county road with 55mph traffic, ok but not exactly
fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Lifting a bike over low fences? Sounds a lot like trespassing onto
private land.

What is it with you that you have such difficulty riding where so
mqany others ride without fear? Oh I know, a fw others share your
fears and thus bicycvling is extremely dangerous.

In the area Joerg is referring to, the issue is that not many others
ride, because of fear of riding on US50, a legitimate fear.
.

Bicycles are not allowed on Hwy 50, that's the key problem. If you want
to go to Intel, Kaiser, Costco, Home Depot et cetera the only way is to
hack it across a field, he

https://goo.gl/maps/RZyYFr7MCTT2

There is now a gate and various habitat fences. I guess they are fixing
to put in developments and a road. Meaning the ride will be over soon.
The only alternative is White Rock Road which is close to suicidal for a
cyclist. Well, then I'll use the car until they are done, after which
hopefully that new road with have a bike lane because it's going to be a
race track.

I would never move to a place like that if I was interested in
transportational cycling.

Sometimes it's good to move somewhere and then help estabishing a
cycling culture, also pushing for an infrastructure. Else it'll never
get expanded.

For cyclists we already have much better options than we did 5-10 years
ago. However, one must be able to handle a mountain bike.

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/CoachLane1.JPG

We can now ride all the way to Walmart, brewpubs and other places in
Placerville on mostly dirt roads and singletrack though some of it isn't
for the faint of heart. Works for me. I simply adjusted my spending of
money to businesses that can be reached that way. Heck, even one of my
clients and a software engineer I network with are located directly on
that trail.

The downside is that I am going through a lot of rear tires. Oh well.

Another problem is that when they finish you have to know how to find your way through residential areas to find the bike paths. The north side of Mt. Diablo is that way. Also I went with a group up Twin Peaks in San Francisco and damn if I can find the way again since those are service roads and not public.