Old August 12th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:03:59 PM UTC+1, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 15:55:02 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

lifting the bike over some low
fences

Exactly how low? I don't think I could lift my bike over a fence much
above knee high, and I can't think of a use for a fence that low --
confining turtles? A symbolic boundary marker?

Of course I *am* seventy-six, female, and have a damaged rotator cuff.
But there is also the problem of getting *me* over the fence without
damaging it. When I was eight, I could climb a fence at the corner
post, but at a hundred and sixty-eight pounds, fence-climbing is right
out, unless it is built like a ladder. I think I *have* seen a board
panel in a wire fence, but can't remember when and where.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Hmm. For today's ride I met a chum at an art store on the very edge of town.. It's in an industrial estate and the art store staff close the gate at their end when they finish work (they don't open on Saturdays so today the gate was closed all day). At the other end of the industrial estate there is no gate at all, just the entrance road. My chum rode through the industrial estate, up into the parking lot beside the gate (which is inset, well clear of the passing road) and lifted his bike over the wall before I, just arriving from the other side, could dismount to help him. He's 74 or 75. Didn't seem to stress him out, either: he was chatting away while he did it, and afterwards, and we immediately rode up a steep, long hill.

Andre Jute
You're only as old as your mistress thinks you are -- Honoré de Balzac