Old May 14th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default OT Living music, was OT Propelled inline skating

On 5/11/2011 1:16 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

With schools cutting back on music programs, I wonder where the next
brass players are going to come from. The sound of spit valves may
soon be a thing of the past. We're going to have Casio keyboards with
a synthetic spit valve sound -- and coughing. That's what I love
about live orchestral performances -- they always sound like they are
being given in a TB ward.-- Jay Beattie.

My 2 kids are both talented musicians, having studied woodwind for many
years (lots of private lessons). My son played a bunch through HS, but
didn't make the cut in college -- the ensemble he wanted to join didn't
take any freshmen. He got discouraged and never played in college at
all. It's a shame, there seems to be already a surplus of musicians
relative to venues. I hope my daughter doesn't follow suit, she spent
last summer waitressing to buy a $2K clarinet. Current household tally:
3 clarinets, 2 saxophones, 2 acoustic & 2 electric guitars, banjo,
flute, trumpet, 2 sets of harmonicas, electronic keyboard and
miscellaneous percussion.