Old September 18th 03, 03:22 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Default Bianchi are appaling and last 365 days

"Dashi Toshii" wrote in message

"William Belaforous Kelly" wrote in message
. ..

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
xxx- The problem
probably lies with new light steel used in the 'next generation' steel
bikes, although if the OP posted this to rbt he'd probably have been
told to get an oversized lugged steel frame that weights 5 lbs.
BRBR

Or a better made steel frameset that weighs about 3.6 pounds. No steel

frameset
we see these days, lugged or not weighs 5 pounds. Mine is lugged and

weighs
3.8
pounds. Another misrepresentation of modern steel.

I make furniture. The only material I use is stainless steel. Despite its
expense and difficulty to machine, it's the best material for this
application (appearance and durability).

Bull**** snipped..

This guy is one of the biggest morons that I have seen post to RBR, he's an
expert on building frames because he makes furniture, yeah, right!

That's me. I posted under that name so PC would see it.

Solidworks is a solid modeling program, used mostly by mechanical engineers.
Cosmos is a finite-element analysis plug-in. That's what engineers use to
evaluate their designs before prototyping.

I have access to those programs because my friends are mechanical engineers.
Steel, when evaluated purely for stiffness to weight ratio, doesn't perform
as well as the other 3 materials. That is a fact.

There are other factors to consider when choosing frame material, some of
which are subjective (therefore not evaluateable by finite element analysis).
It's also debateable whether the 1 lb. (or less) difference matters to the
average rider. But those are the subjective criteria - the objective criteria
(stiffness to weight ratio) is not really disputable. The computer doesn't
lie (unless the user screws up the parameters).