Old August 20th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

On 8/20/2019 10:26 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 10:14:45 UTC-4, Ted Heise wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 00:47:40 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a
fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that
at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER
that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing
around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Or, according to Livestrong it could be:
(https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...ring-exercise/)

" A Drop in Heart Rate During Exercise
Bonnie Singleton

Exercise boosts your blood pressure and heart rate temporarily and is one of the best ways to promote a healthy heart. But if you experience a drop in your heart rate while exercising, it could signify either a minor, temporary problem or a more serious underlying cardiovascular condition. Consult your doctor about any drop in heart rate while exercising.
Man exercising on treadmill at gym
(Image: Comstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images)
Video of the Day
Identification

Your heart rate, or pulse, is the number of times your heart beats per minute and is a way to tell how hard and effectively your heart is working. When your heart expands and contracts, forcing blood through your veins and arteries, you can feel and count those pulses at places like your wrist or neck. If your resting heart rate is between 60 and 90 beats per minute, it's considered normal. Depending upon your age, the maximum heart rate you should experience during exercise can range from 150 to 200. If your heart rate drops too low during rest or exercise, it can lead to lightheadedness, fatigue and fainting, the National Emergency Medicine Association warns.
Causes

One of the most common causes of a drop in your heart rate while exercising is vasovagal, or neurocardiogenic, syncope, when blood vessels expand and blood pools in the lower parts of your body. This is often precipitated by overheating or dehydration, the Mayo Clinic explains. A heart arrhythmia called bradycardia can cause your heart to beat too slowly. This is usually a result of damage to the heart from a previous heart attack or heart disease. Adams-Stokes disease and "sick sinus syndrome" are two other conditions caused by a heart rhythm disorder that makes your heart rate slow down, the American Heart Association adds.
Prevention/Solution

If you have bradycardia or vasovagal syncope, you may not need any treatment unless you experience prolonged or repeated attacks, in which case your doctor may give you medication or implant an artificial pacemaker. If your heart-rate drop is tied to overheating or dehydration, you should make sure to avoid exercising during the hottest parts of the day, dress appropriately and drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.
Warning

If you find your heart rate is dropping on a regular basis during exercise, you should check with your doctor to determine if you have a heart arrhythmia or heart disease causing the problem. If you feel faint due to a drop in your pulse rate while exercising, the Mayo Clinic recommends that you stop immediately, lie down and lift your legs slightly until you recover, or put your head between your knees."

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but: I know a guy who began to
experience problems on fairly leisurely bike rides. Another friend who
rode with him told of the guy pulling over to the side of a road and
saying "I started getting tunnel vision so I stopped, then everything
went black. But I'm OK now" and continued riding.

He finally got checked out after multiple incidents, and after one
failed attempt, now has a working pacemaker. Unfortunately, he doesn't
ride much at all now.

But it does occur to me, it's easy to double check your HRM by simply
counting your pulse with a watch. If it's not a problem with the HRM,
perhaps you should talk to a doctor.

--
- Frank Krygowski