Old December 3rd 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cone wrench for freehub body?

On 12/3/2019 1:10 PM, Joerg wrote:
The new rear wheel was supposed to have the usual 10mm Allen
inside to remove the freehub. Said the dealer. However, when
I lubed the bearings I saw none of that, just a much bore
hole with wide long splines deep down in there (of course I
forgot to snap a photo ...). I wrote to the dealer and now
they say I'd need "some specific sized cone wrench". Could
not find much on the Internet and I wouln't know how a cone
wrench could possibly be used.

Does anyone know of an alternate mounting system versus the
usual 10mm hex? If so, can that still take Shimano freehubs?

The main raason I ask is that freehubs only last
5000-10000mi with me. Lots of hills, heavy loads. Having to
throw out the whole rear wheel would be sad.

There are several. What hub is it?
Some use a large allen from the left side. Some take
proprietary tools.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/