Old March 17th 17, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default More About Lights

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 5:13:53 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 16/03/17 16:44, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 5:40:55 PM UTC-4, James wrote:

At creeping speeds (less than 10km/h), I could see holes with a
candle light.

Must be nice to be blessed with such perfect vision! many of us find
that we need a prety bright light in order to see where we're going
and the obstacles to avoid at night. that's not to mention that it's
nice to be able to see critters on theroads or trails in time to slow
or stop to avoid running over them. Personally, I like a supplemental
High beam light so that ican see a longer way down an unlit very dark
road on a moonless night so I can see the skunks at the side of the
road or on the road well BEFORE I startle them. YMMV

If you need a high beam light to see enough not to bump in to things at
night while you are moving at less than 10km/h ( 6 miles/h), you have
really poor eyesight. Do you walk with a white cane?

--
JS

No, I use sonar. LOL

We're talking about two different things now. There are times when I DO NEED a bright light at slow speeds and there are times one I want a bright light that illuminates the roasd a long way in front of me. A dynamo hub light for ME just doesn't meet MY needs. I like to be able to see critters and debris on the road BEFORE I hit them or in the case of critters like skunks startle them. I also like to be able o tell the difference between a small branch on the road or trail at night and a snake again BEFORE I hit it .YMMV

Cheers