Old January 20th 04, 07:29 AM
Tom Keats

Default Naming a bike

In article ,
David Kerber writes:

This thread got my mind wandering in a completely different direction:
how many of you give your bikes (and/or cars) names?

Heck, I've gotta call 'em /something/ when I goad or encourage
them. Yes, sometimes I talk (in a certain sense) to my bikes
like they were saddle horses. Like when winding up for a
sprint: "Gimme some of that juice, bike name!" I realize
bikes don't have ears or brains[*]. It's just for my own benefit.
I'm just externalizing goading or encouraging myself. But, it
works for me.

When you've got a bunch of 'em, names help to differentiate them.
Right now, my stable consists of ol' Pig Iron (the main, workhorse
bike -- a Norco Bigfoot), Gertrude (the black mixte Sekine), Rudy
(the white DF Sekine), and Cousin It (the Araya).

cheers,
Tom
[*] or /do/ they? hmmm.