Old August 11th 18, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Flat repair

jbeattie wrote:
:On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 6:12:54 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
: On 8/10/2018 6:07 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
: On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 15:36:07 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
: wrote:
:
: On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 12:33:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 8/10/2018 3:09 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Andy wrote:
:
: :I sanded the tube, applied the patch and clamped it in a vise for an hour.
:
: Did you let the glue dry? the hexane (or whatever they use these
: days) is just a solvent. the active part of the glue is the rubber
: and vulcanizing activator. then put the
: patch on, and press firm (the edge of a patch kit box works great.).
: Then put the tube to use.
:
: Here's my method:
:
: First, I seldom patch a tube at the side of the road. Instead I just
: change tubes, using the spare tube I always have with the bike. I do
: check carefully by feel and visually to be sure the glass, wire or
: whatever is not still sticking into the tire. Oh, and I make sure the
: punctured tube is tossed sloppily into my handlebar bag so I don't
: forget to deal with it at home.
:
: At home, I inflate the tube and find the leak, making sure there isn't
: more than one. I mark its position X with chalk.
:
: I clamp a thick dowel (3/4" diameter or so) so it's protruding from my
: bench vise. This is my work surface. I lay the X directly on top.
:
: I take my sanding block (used for wood work) and sand the area to be
: patched. It's way easier than fiddling with the tiny sandpaper in a
: patch kit, and the dowel work surface makes it easy to sand well.
:
: I apply the patch glue, spreading it thin, then wait maybe five minutes
: for it to dry.
:
: I peel the backing foil off the patch and carefully stick it in place.
:
: Then I take another dowel, hold it right angles to the one in the vise,
: and roll it over the patch to apply pressure, starting in the patch's
: center and working toward the outside. It's like rolling cookie dough -
: although I've never rolled cookie dough. This makes it easy to apply
: quite a bit of force on a small area (the contact point between two
: perpendicular cylinders) and I think helps make the bond very strong.
:
: Then I make sure all the air is out of the tube so it's completely flat.
: I fold it up, put a rubber band around it and put it back in my bike bag.
:
: For me, the main thing is it's a lot easier to do this in my basement
: where I have all the tools immediately ready. And the dowel in the vise
: really is a much easier work surface than a flat surface.
:
: Here's my technique -- carry a couple of spares and have boat loads of patched and new tubes at home. Get numerous flats and accumulate a pile of un-repaired tubes. Then, (1) select proper beer; go to man cave and (2) select proper DVD and or BluRay movie, (3) start patching. I use a Sharpie to mark, and I just lay the tube flat and sand. You can apply glue to two or three at a time, depending on chair-back hanging space. Number one dries as you're spreading glue on three, etc. Apply patches like you say, but I just put the tube back on flat surface (I use a plastic cutting board) and press down with plastic tire iron. You could use your finger nail. When the pile is done, I pump them all up and let them sit overnight. There are always two or three that go flat because of super small holes, and then I get out the bucket of water and do those, and then I roll them all up like you say.
:
: Sanding is the important part, IMO. Some tube brands have really nasty mold release or some other finish that you have to get through for a good bond.
:
: I have a patch limit where I just throw the tube away. Nothing set. If I say, "man there are a lot of patches on that tube," then I just throw it away. I've gotten my money out of it. I'll keep patching if it has sentimental value or its some weird size that I need.
:
: -- Jay Beattie.
:
:
: A while ago I believe that we discussed patching tubes in detail. At
: the time I think I remember someone writing that they simply wiped the
: tube off with some chemical and slapped on the patch. No sanding.
:
: I remember thinking that I should "get some of that stuff" but like
: many plans it came a crupper and I even forgot the incident until this
: thread started.
:
: Anyone remember the details and did the scheme actually work. I hate
: sanding tubes and would gladly go to some lengths to avoid it.
:
:
: Tech Products, a standard supplier to the auto/motorcycle
: tire sold 'Tech Patch Buffer' solution which was
: trichlorethane? trichlorethylene? I can't recall. Worked
: well to clean and prep a patchable surface. Since we have
: auto brake wash (mostly acetone and alcohol) I use that now.
:
: This seems to be the new version in our bleak no-CFC world:
: https://techtirerepairs.com/rubber-cleaners/

o you sand at all, or is it straight chemical?

Tech says to buff.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3xm84WdckWrqpB

--
This is a randomly numbered sig.