Old September 25th 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: pickup trucks

Sunday, 23 September, 2018:

The car we acquired yesterday has a trunk that is easy to put my
walker into, if the back seats are down. I'm not sure that I can put
the walker into it on days when I *need* the walker.

I haven't tried putting the bike into it yet. We --it took both of
us, and it was a real struggle-- put the bike into the Versa when we
went to turn it in and sign the papers for the Corolla. And I made it
to both farmers' markets before closing time!

I wonder whether I can get both the bike and the Wheelie Cool into the
trunk for a trip to Rentown?

This all started when squirrels gnawed through the gas line on the
Taco again, and we had it hauled off on a flatbed. When Dave went the
dealer to check on it, he ran into a salesman who had, on the previous
day, received a new version of a Corolla Dave had been stalking.

Which somehow reminded me

Monday, 24 September 2018

At which point the computers struck six bells, and when I'm on
gabapentin, bedtime is bedtime.

The Taco is back on our parking pad. The salesman said that if we
ever sell it, he personally wants it, squirrel-bait gas line and all.
Dave sprinkled critter repellent on the parking areas, and plans to
put mothballs into the engine compartment.

I drove the Corolla home after we picked up the Taco, and stopped at
Martin's and Aldi. Five and a half miles, much of it straight, and
nary a peep from my rotator cuff or hip. I did need a short walk
after riding in the passenger seat.

I started this post to say that I've remembered another reason we
can't do without the Taco: It's our only four-wheel-drive vehicle,
and it has high clearance and wide tires. When snow is predicted,
it's the Taco we park in the garage. It can always get out, and after
Dave drives back and forth in the driveway for a while, the car can
get out too.

The bike would be even easier to get over the snowplow-ridge, but I no
longer dare to ride on a street with spots of ice, and Dave can't ride
at all.

Perhaps this winter will refrain from doling out our ration of snow a
little every day, and there will be some days I can ride instead of
gazing soulfully at young boys dressed all in black as they ride past.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---